Erasmus Mobility Rules

Who can benefit?

  • Students registered at a higher education institution holding an Extended ERASMUS University Charter.

  • Enterprises, training centres, research centres and other organisations.


For how long can students go abroad?

Students can do a placement between 3 and 12 months or at least two months for students in short-cycle higher vocational education.


What are the preconditions?

ERASMUS students are selected by their home higher education institution in a fair and transparent way.


Where do placements take place?

  • Host organisations for student placements may be enterprises, training centres, research centres and other organisations.

  • Excluded are European Union institutions and other EU bodies including specialised agencies, organisations managing EU programmes (in order to avoid possible conflict of interests and / or double funding) and national diplomatic representations (embassy and consulate) of the home country of the student.


Who can apply?

The home institution of the students or a consortium of home institutions applies for ERASMUS mobility grants to its national agency while the students apply to their home institution.

For higher education institutions or consortia:

  • The student must either be a national of a country participating in the Lifelong Learning Programme or a national of other countries enrolled in regular courses in institutions of higher education in a participating country, under the conditions fixed by each of the participating countries, taking into account the nature of the programme.

  • The student applying must be registered at a higher education institution which holds an Extended ERASMUS University Charter and be enrolled in higher education studies leading to a recognised degree or other recognised tertiary level qualification up to and including the level of doctorate (please refer to the relevant National Agency website).

  • A placement can be done from the first year of higher education studies.